Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Exorcist

My sister swears I should have named her Ragen because there are times, like on Sunday for instance, that she displays behavior as if she were possessed like the child in The Exorcist...

I know you can't tell from the picture but this sweet little freckled-face smile developed a condition much like the possessed soon after this photo was taken.

She hates medicine, any medicine. She gags, she cries, I'm really not looking forward to the whole tonsil removal in a few weeks!

We decided to take her to Children's Hospital's ER Sunday to have them examine her foot that had been pierced with a 3/4 inch piece of wood last week. It had some white skin around the puncture spot but it appeared more white was developing inside, and I feared infection. The doctors agreed. They needed to open the area to drain any fluid out and clean the area really well.

Apparently the bottom of the foot is a difficult area to numb. They put the standard topical cream on to do it's job, they were gonna spray the foot with an additional numbing solution, give her a nose spray that would help w/pain and then give her a shot in the foot. She refused the nose spray. That was her big mistake.

As they began working she screamed to the top of her lungs "You're KILLING ME". Her beet red faced tried to bite me as I held her upper body down. Saliva ran down her chin as she continued to belt out in protest. She saw the scissors unfortunately as they began cutting away damaged skin. I felt bad for the child but felt bad for the doctor too as I unclenched B's fist that was wrapped around her jacket. I shouted apologies but until they finished she screamed, she shook her head from side to side and if you looked close enough, you could see her head spin all the way around.

Whew, when it was all said and done, her foot was cleaned, bad skin removed, and no more foreign objects were found in her foot. With that said, she has not had any of her antibiotic they said she needed three times a day. I've tried everything I can think of to get it down her. It doesn't matter the form it's presented in at this point, there's no way she'll take it. She can't swallow the pill due to her gag reflexes and she can taste the powder and she'll taste the liquid too no matter how we disguise it. So all I can do is keep it as clean as possible, and pray it heals without further complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment