Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Conversations of the day...

Sometimes I find it hard to believe I actually take part in many of these conversations each day...

This morning I had to send a text to my husband..."do something w the dead bird on garbage can when u get home" ... and I'm sure the cat likely polished it off before he could make it home, however, my children found the helpless bird before school, placed it on the plastic grave and adorned it w/tiny purple flowers as any proper bird grave would have....
Stressful day at school but soooo worth it all (read on)...
One kid says to me, "Did my Mama give you permission to whoop me?" and I always heed caution when I hear things like this before the bell even rings...as if he's warning me, he's gonna push my buttons today...he did end up in isolation (desk by himself) before my time was up in that class *grin*

Didn't even get a lunch today because I pulled double duty, working 2 half days for different teachers. Upper grade first who was going to lunch when my shift ended and lower grade who had already eaten when I began...HOWEVER I got to enjoy 2 P.E.s today so I ate during one of those.


Went to my next class and as they returned from P.E. one child has a small scrape under his eye where he tripped and fell while gone, he was fine but wanted to go look at it so I let him. He came back and was telling me it was stinging and I suggested he tell his family when he got home (it had been looked at already by proper personnel) , "They may have something to put on it." In deep thought he says, "...like Clorox?" and I immediately say, "No, no, something safe, ask an adult at home, they can find something, never try to put medicine on it yourself okay?" and he agreed to ask for help!

Same class, I say "Get out your Science books" and one kid goes, "Bigguns?" (they have big books and smaller workbooks)  and I say "Yes, get the bigguns out." And no one thought anything of it. *smile*

Same class, one kid, out of the blue walks up to me w/his cute big ears and opens his mouth which was completely blank up front, top and bottom and silver as far back as I could see. Adorable child says to me, "You know how I lost this tooth? I went to the doctors, it was bleeding when I washed it...I ain't gonna brush it for another week or two weeks." I smile, something I always do when I'm thinking of the proper response. He turned back to me and smiled, "And I'm glad you're one of our teachers."

Same class, same kid ten minutes before school got out. Other kids were packing up their desks for the end of day, cleaning the trash off the floor and my little sweetheart came up to me in tears holding his unfinished paper and said, "I'm very frustrated!" and he wipes away a tear. I had previously given them diction where I say some words and they write them down and then a final short sentence to try and write. Others were finished and turning in papers and Mr. Frustrated didn't hear the last section I called out. I smiled and took his paper and asked him to sit beside me. I assured him I was very frustrated as well, the kids were getting too loud and he quit crying when he found out I was also frustrated. I threatened the others with conduct checkmarks quietened the children and we finished his paper. He was happy. Bell rang and I got the usual hugs from a couple of girls but nothing more special than when that little boy turned around again, gums gleaming through his lips, and said, "Whew, thank you for helping teach me, I'm so glad you taught me."

and that's all I needed.........

No comments:

Post a Comment